Zoe Walters, LMSW
33 Wheeler Ave.
Cortland, NY 13045
P: (607) 758-4180 ext. 3501
School Social Workers are NYS licensed mental health providers and instructional employees with the pupil and personnel services (PPS) department. They are housed in each school building within the district. Duties include supporting instruction through counseling services to students, facilitation of instructional support teams, facilitiation of collaborative meetings involving students, school, families and community agencies, provide conflict resolution skills, provide problem solving skills, conduct mental health risk assessments, provide resources and referrals for students and parents, and serve as liaisons for parents, the school and the community. They also provide prevention and intervention activities within classrooms and are critical members of individual building and district crisis management teams.
ROLE OF THE SOCIAL WORKER
- Individual counseling for school and mental health concerns
- Conflict resolution
- Problem solving
- Socio-emotional support
- Counseling and crisis intervention
- Mental health risk assessments and recommendations
- Liaison between families, school and community resources
- Offer information, resources and referrals for school and community based services
- Crisis team involvment for district school buildings