The Deeper Learning Project
The world has changed. So, too, must public education if we want our graduates to be world-ready. These resources can help us prepare our students to be ready for their future. Employers have identified four critical skills they hope to see in all their employees: the 4 Cs.
One part of the effort to help us better plan for engagement is titled the “Deeper Learning Project.” The driving question for this project is “How do we provide learning experiences for students that are engaging?” We will be seeking a volunteer team of teachers from each of our seven buildings to participate in the project. Over the course of a year teams will participate in common learning experiences, plan and deliver a Project-Based Learning (PBL) unit, receive coaching, and participate in a community of learners. These are topics we have previous done:
|Sixth grade students at Parker Elementary school explore answering the driving question, "How can we creat a consumer awareness campaign about the problems of fish depletion?"
Fifth grade students at Parker and Randall explore answering the driving question, "How can we as research scientist inform the public of the dangers affecting our ecosystems?"
Fifth grade students at Barry Elementary explore answering the driving question,
"What is healthy eating?"
|Third greade students at Randall Elementary explore answering the driving question, "How do humans impact animals environment?"
Deeper Learning Project Resources
Creativity and Problem Solving Resources
Critical Thinking Resources
- The New Literacies Research Lab at the University of Connecticut is the most widely recognized center in the world for conducting research on the new reading comprehension and learning skills required by the Internet and other emerging information and communication technologies. Our work develops research-based evidence to prepare students for their literacy and learning future.
- ReadWriteThink - At ReadWriteThink, our mission is to provide educators, parents, and afterschool professionals with access to the highest quality practices in reading and language arts instruction by offering the very best in free materials.
- Science Communication Rubric - Project Boston Public Schools
- Teaching Listening Skills - ABAX ELT Publishers
- Writing to Persuade Rubric - Berlin Middle School, Worchester County
- Written and Oral Communication Skills - Utah Education Network