BOARD MEMBER ELECTIONS & POLLING LOCATIONS
Being a member of a school board is one of the most rewarding, and possibly the most demanding, things you can do for the children of Cortland and the community in general. Our board is comprised of seven members, each serving a three-year term, with no more than three positions becoming available each year. Terms of office begin on July1 and run until June 30, three years later. In 2021, the terms of three members, out of the seven member Board, are up for election along with a one-year term to fill an appointed seat of a resigned member. The one-year term will start immediately after the election and run through June 30, 2022. The one--year term is filed by the candidate that has the fourth most votes.The election is held on the 3rd Tuesday of May, for 2021 that date is May 18. Petitions must be filed by April 28 (twenty days prior to the election.) Please contact the Clerk of the Board at 607-758-4100 ext. 2202 to obtain a petition.
Eligibility for membership is as follows:
- must be a citizen of the United States
- must be 18 years of age
- must be a resident of the district for at least the 1 year immediately preceding the date of the election
- may not reside with another member of the same school board
- may not be a current employee of the school board
- must not hold membership of any City office, other than police officer or firefighter
To be nominated, a person must do the following:
- contact the Clerk of the Board (607-758-4100 ext. 2202) for an application
- gather at least one hundred signatures of qualified voters
- return the petition to the Clerk of the Board no later than 5 p.m., 20 days prior to the election
Any of our members would be glad to talk to you more specifically about the duties of a school board member.
The polling places for the 2021 Budget Vote and School Board Election are to be determined.