BOARD MEMBER ELECTIONS & POLLING LOCATIONS
Being a member of a school board is one of the most rewarding, and possibly the most demanding, things you can do for the children of Cortland and the community in general. Our board is comprised of seven members, each serving a three-year term, with no more than three positions becoming available each year. Terms of office begin on July1 and run until June 30, three years later. In 2019, the terms of two members, out of the seven member Board, are up for election plus one unfinished term to commence May 21, 2019 after the election and run through June 30 of 2021. The election is held on the 3rd Tuesday of May, for 2019 that date is May 21. Petitions must be filed by May 1 (twenty days prior to the election.) Please contact the Clerk of the Board at 607-758-4100 ext. 2202 to obtain a petition.
Eligibility for membership is as follows:
- must be a citizen of the United States
- must be 18 years of age
- must be a resident of the district for at least the 1 year immediately preceding the date of the election
- may not reside with another member of the same school board
- may not be a current employee of the school board
- must not hold membership of any City office, other than police officer or firefighter
To be nominated, a person must do the following:
- contact the Clerk of the Board (607-758-4100 ext. 2202) for an application
- gather at least one hundred signatures of qualified voters
- return the petition to the Clerk of the Board no later than 5 p.m., 20 days prior to the election
Any of our members would be glad to talk to you more specifically about the duties of a school board member.
Polling Locations for Cortland Enlarged City School District Residents:
The polls open at noon and close at 9:00 p.m.
- City of Cortland - All residents residing within the City limits vote at the Kaufman Center, 1 Valley View Drive
- Cortlandville - All Cortland School District residents living in the Town of Cortlandville, vote at the Cortlandville Town Hall, Terrace Rd.
- Virgil - All Cortland School District residents living in the Town of Virgil vote at the Virgil Town Hall, 1176 Church St.