As a District, we have continued our focus on student achievement through student engagement. First and foremost, we are continuously working on the articulation and alignment of a guaranteed and viable curriculum for all content areas. Additionally, we are working to create engaging learning opportunities for students, support social-emotional learning, and promote community engagement/communication. At Smith, our teachers are working in learning teams to explore topics relative to student engagement. Topics include the use of explicit learning targets, developing a growth mindset, total participation techniques, motivation, academic vocabulary and social emotional learning. Teachers are supporting one another in their learning and the implementation of various strategies and approaches to heighten student engagement and learning. Student attendance is also an area that we continue to closely monitor. Student achievement is directly related to student attendance. We encourage you to be engaged in your child's education as well. A good place to start is to review the work in your child's home-school folder. Ask your child to explain the work and what s/he is learning at school. What is s/he most excited about? Making sure that your child arrives on time everyday to school is another way to let your child know how much you value his/her education. We welcome your input and feedback regarding your child and his/her education.
- Students may enter Smith School at 8:00 a.m. to attend Morning Program and/or breakfast. Parents may attend Morning Program. Please sign in at the office upon arrival.
- Our instructional day begins at 8:30 a.m. Students arriving after that time are tardy and will need to be signed in at the office.
- Walkers are dismissed at 3:10 p.m. For their safety, students should go directly home. Students should not be on the playground without adult supervision.
- Parking is limited. Please adhere to the designated parking areas. Cars should not enter the bus circle. To ensure everyone's safety, please use the designated crosswalks and crossing guard.
- Shopping for new school clothes? Please be sure to adhere to our school dress code policy, a summary of which can be viewed below.