Skip to main content
cortland home report bullying  calendar  lunch menus  myschoolbucks  school tool  boardDocs 

Auditorium Project Update October 2019

If you visit the Junior Senior High School on a regular basis you can not help but notice the dramatic changes occurring: the new traffic pattern, the occasional presence of a crane, the chain link fencing, and higher roof line. The changes are due to the $6.5 million dollar capital project that will upgrade and modernize our auditorium. The auditorium has had relatively little changes since the original construction in 1964 and needed many upgrades and modernization. Almost all of the project (88%) will be funded by the state, and the Board of Education has saved enough in the Capital Reserve Account to cover the other 12% without having to raise the taxes.

In addition to having a construction manager on site, Bob Martin, Cortland Enlarged City School District’s own Director of Facilities, has been overseeing this project. Bob serves as the interface between the construction manager and contractors with school district administration. 

Bob Martin explains, “The auditorium project is broken up into 8 major stages. October has been hit or miss for exterior work with the weather as some days it's rainy and exterior steel work can not be done. Alternate interior work is then the focus. On days that are sunny we are able to move the project forward. We anticipate closing the roof of the raised structure by mid October. We are also working on completing the demolition of the electrical work.  Before school started, we ensured the bathrooms located by the auditorium were complete for student use. Completing each milestone or phase moves us closer to being complete.” 

As construction continues, our students, staff and community members are making adjustments to not being able to use the space this year. 

“As the auditorium work continues our music department will be using alternative locations for performances. We understand that during the construction, parking and traffic will be changed, along with student entry and music events. However we know that being slightly uncomfortable this year will pay off as we look forward to using our new space in the 2020-2021 school year” said High School Principal Joe Mack.

The next phase of the auditorium includes adding air conditioning to the top of the cafeteria and enclosing the top of the raised stage area. You can always see up to date pictures of the auditorium project by visiting our website or by following us on twitter, facebook or instagram! 
 


QUICK LINKS

OUR SCHOOLS






Mr. Robert J. Edwards, Superintendent

1 Valley View Drive
Cortland, NY 13045
607-758-4100

www.cortlandschools.org


Developed by CNYRIC